This last few days I’ve been playing the DayZ mod for ArmA II after seeing it highlighted in this article on Kotaku. There are several zombie fans in the Kinsler household and we’ve taken plenty of time to discuss the best possible strategy for surviving the zombie apocalypse. In DayZ I’ve had the opportunity to put my strategies to the test. Here are some cool things I’ve experienced so far.
- My first time playing was at night. I was stalked by someone who sent me a message in chat letting me know they were watching me. Moments later I fell to a single round from their sniper rifle.
- After learning the ropes I sat and watched a busy area around a store that typically has supplies. I watched from a nearby hill as two people unsuccessfully attempted to fend off 12-15 zombies outside the store. I thought about helping them but was having a good run and didn’t want to put myself in danger.
- I was being chased by several zombies and ran into a church. I cleverly let them come down the center aisle and ran down the side of the pews and close the door on them. They opened it back up but not before I’d made it to a safe distance.
- I’ve murdered two other survivors. The first time I saw someone in a firefight with another person. I was low on supplies and snuck up behind him as he lay prone and shot him. This merciless act earned me a can of beans. The second time I was with a friend and someone else came up to us. I didn’t trust him so as he was searching a corpse I shot him in the head.
- On my most recent run I spent a good part of the day playing. I found a ton of supplies and managed to kill 95 zombies before a couple of bandits killed me (karma?).